Most people will not have tried Quinoa but I dreaded it but now it is a healthy substitute that absorbs flavours like a sponge. Squeeze a little lemon into the water for even more taste. Chicken Quinoa Burrito Bowl is a tasty Mexican main dish using lettuce, avocado, salsa, beans and cheese on a bed of quinoa. It is full of body and flavour and ideal when you want to try something new.
Chicken Quinoa Burrito Bowl
- 1 tbsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 lb Chicken Breasts boneless/skinless
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups romaine lettuce shredded
- 1 cup pinto beans can/rinsed
- 1 large avocado ripe/diced
- 1/4 cup pico de gallo or another salsa
- 1/4 cup Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese grated
- Lime wedges for serving
- Preheat grill to medium-high or preheat broiler.
- Combine chipotles, oil, garlic powder and cumin in a small bowl.
- Oil the grill rack. Season chicken with salt. Grill the chicken for 5 minutes.
- Turn, brush with the chipotle glaze and continue cooking until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 165°F, 3 to 5 minutes more on the grill.
- Transfer to a clean cutting board. Chop into bite-size pieces.
- Assemble each burrito bowl with 1/2 cup quinoa, 1/2 cup chicken, 1/2 cup lettuce, 1/4 cup beans, 1/4 avocado, 1 tablespoon pico de gallo (or other salsa) and 1 tablespoon cheese. Serve with a lime wedge.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)