Classic Spanish recipe that is welcoming and tasty. What more do you need?!?
Spanish Sardines in Tomato Sauce (Sardinas en Tomate)
- 4 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped,
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 tbsp parsley chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Hot red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp dry white wine
- 14 oz sardines can in oil, drained,
- Lemon wedges garnish
- Toasted bread dunking
- Salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- Combine the tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and parsley in a food processor and process until all ingredients are finely chopped.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over moderate heat and add the tomato mixture.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the red pepper flakes, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and wine and simmer until the sauce is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Add the drained sardines and simmer for 5 minutes, until the sardines are heated through.
- Serve hot, cold, or at room temperature with lemon wedges and toast.