Over the years when my children have wanted a snack, I have cooked these. They are ready in 35 minutes and always vanish quickly. Chinese Egg Rolls – Mrs Kwan’s Quick Snack, an elderly neighbour many years ago baked these for me once and I was hooked. Simple ingredients such as pork, ginger, spring onions, egg and coleslaw create a superb snack, starter, appetizer and side dish. Now that’s multi tasking. Obviously take away the pork and you have a lovely vegetarian recipe. Also, I have used left over chicken, beef and lamb in place of the pork.
Chinese Egg Rolls – Mrs Kwan’s Quick Snack
- Brown the pork with ginger and garlic in pan, draining any grease.
- Mix salt, sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil and add to pork.
- Mix thouroughly.
- In large bowl combine cabbage mix and green onions.
- Mix the meat with the vegetables and stir well.
- Place a single wrap in front of you.
- Place 2 – 3 tablespoons pork filling in center of egg wrap.
- Fold bottom point up over filling and roll once.
- Fold in right and left sides.
- Brush the beaten egg on top
- Finish rolling.
- Put to one side whilst doing the rest
- Heat 3 inches oil in large frying pan to 350ºF.
- Fry a few egg rolls in pan at a time, for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Drain each roll on paper towel to absorb excess oil
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce, plum sauce or hoisin sauce.