Chocolate Churros is a superb dessert, snack and is both vegetarian and vegan. If you need a pick me up then serve with melted chocolate or jams and preserves. Churros are originally from Spain and Portugal but exported as far as the Philippines and Mexico.
- 1 Thermometer
- 1 Deep Fat Fryer or Deep Pan
- 1 KitchenPaper
- Put a small pan over a medium heat. Add the water, sugar, vegetable oil and salt and stir.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat off.
- Turn on the deep fat fryer if using to 190C/375F.
- Add the flour and combine until it becomes a ball.
- If your using a deep pan then add the oil over a high heat. (Use a cooking thermometer)
- Spoon the dough into a piping bag and a metal nozzle.
- Once the oil is hot enough, pipe a few 6 inch strips of the dough into the fat. Do not try cooking too many at one time as they will be soggy.
- Fry until golden brown and then transfer onto kitchen paper to remove any excess oil.
- Place the white sugar and cinnamon in a small dish.
- When the churros are cooked and still warm, roll them in the sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- I serve mine with a bowl of melted chocolate or my favourite strawberry jam.