When you leave the toppings to the children, be prepared for a cacophony of colours and styles. Watching them use their minds to design and build them is a pleasure that never gets old.
Fast Fairy Cakes
- Prepare the 2 muffin tins with paper cups. There is a large variety of images, colours and styles.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/175C.
- In a large bowl (to prevent spollage) mix the baking powder, flour and the salt.
- Combine the room temperature butter and sugar together in a large bowl until nice and smooth. A food mixer is ideal for this recipe.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well. When fully mixed, add the next egg and so on.
- Add the dry mix and the milk bit by bit to ensure smooth batter mixture. (bit of flour followed by bit of milk then repeat)
- Fill each of the paper cups about 2/3 full.
- Place the trays in the preheated oven until lovely and coloured. I have a small skewer that I insert into the middle. If it comes out clean then then are done. Normally takes about 15 minutes.
- I always remove the cakes from the tins to prevent the residual heat continuing to cook them.
- When cool, let the children loose with the toppings