Sri Lankan Fish Rolls are a superb main dish, side dish and snack all in one. They are similar to fish cakes but have the tuna inside a pancake inside breadcrumbs. Both filling and helps prevent them from falling apart.
Sri Lanken Fish Rolls
- Place a frying pan over a medium high heat and add a little oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry until softened. You want then to cook without going brown.
- When ready, add the carrots and cook until they are tender.
- Add a small pinch of salt, the mashed potatoes, chili flakes and the tuna to the pan.
- Mix everything thoroughly.
- When combined, add the leek and black pepper and mix gently this time. Cook for about another few minutes.
- Taste to check if seasoned correctly.
- Remove the mixture from the pan and allow to cool. Its a lot easier to handle when cold.
- In a glass bowl, add the milk, flour, salt and water together and whisk to create a smooth batter. (No lumps)
- I use a small non stick frying pan for this next bit.
- Place the pan over a medium heat and when hot add a ladle of the batter mixture.
- Swirl the pan around to achieve a level even coating pancake. Don’t forget, the pancakes need to be thin so dont use too much batter each go.
- Cook each pancake until its cooked (about a minute or so).
- Place the pancakes onto a warmed plate whilst preparing the rest.
- When the pancakes are ready, place a single one onto a flat surface.
- Place about 2 1/2 – 3 tablespoons of the mixture into the centre.
- Fold the bottom flap (nearest you) to the centre, the the two side edges together and finally the top to create a spring roll look.
- Repeat with the remaining pancakes and mixture until all used storing the rolls on a plate.
- Turn on your fryer and heat the oil.
- Using two shallow dishes, pour the batter into one and your homemade breadcrumbs into the other.
- Carefully dip a roll into the batter mixture and then into the breadcrumb mixture making sure they are evenly coated.
- Carefully add to the hot oil and cook until golden brown.
- I do three rolls at a time so they are cooking while I prepare the next three.
- Keep the rolls warm and serve immediately with dips for a superb meal.