Everybody should have a chicken and mushroom recipe in their portfolio and this is one of my favourites. Chicken and Mushroom Casserole is easy to cook, tastes amazing and looks attractive. What more do you want? Also, the amazing idea of adding pineapple chunks provides another texture and a sweetness that works so well. Serve these with Boiled Potatoes with Herbs, Low Fat Roast Potatoes or Bravo Green Beans. All in all this is a lovely recipe that will get your family and friends smiling and full. This is classified as easy in the difficulty rating and really is easy. Simplest method to make people smile.
Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
- Rinse, pat dry and slice fresh mushrooms (makes about 2 ½ cups); set aside.
- Arrange chicken on a rack in a broiler pan. Place under a preheated hot broiler 4 inches from heat source until browned on both sides; discard pan drippings.
- Transfer chicken to a 2 qt. Casserole. Drain and reserve liquid from pineapple; set aside.
- Sprinkle mushrooms, pineapple, green pepper and scallions over chicken.
- Mix pineapple liquid with cornstarch, salt and ginger. Pour over ingredients in casserole. Cover tightly.
- Bake in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees F.) until chicken is tender, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, using a vegetable peeler, thinly slice carrots.
- Add carrots; cook until crisp tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve chicken on large platter surrounded with carrots.