Lorna’s Spaghetti Bolognese is a dish that I eat all year round. The flavours are simple yet immense. This is also ideal to make in advance and freeze to use as needed. When cool pour portion into sealable freezer bags and freeze them flat. They take up less room in the freezer.
Lorna’s Spaghetti Bolognese
- 250 g. minced beef
- 2-3 cloves garlic crushed
- 400 g Spaghetti
- 400 g chopped tomatoes can
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato puree
- 3 rashers bacon
- 1/2 glass red wine
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. mixed herbs heaped spoon
- 1 tbsp veg oil or sunflower or olive oil
- 1 whole beef stock cube Oxo
- parmesan grated, or similar
- 1 knbo butter
- Peel and chop onion. Peel and chop / crush garlic.
- Cut the fat from the bacon rashers and render them in the frying pan to release the fat.
- Cut remaining bacon into small pieces.
- Remove the ‘crispy’ bacon (chef’s perks!) leaving the remaining fat to cook the bacon pieces.
- When bacon pieces are cooked – set to one side on a plate.
- Fry the chopped onion lightly in the remaining bacon fat (may need to add a little veg oil if there is not enough bacon fat remaining).
- Add the chopped garlic, stir into chopped onion.
- Remove onion and garlic (place on a plate).
- Keep the heat high on the hob and place about half the beef into the frying pan – keep stirring to avoid sticking, until mince looks cooked.
- Add mince to onion on plate. Fry the remaining mince in the same way.
- Return the first half of the cooked mince to the pan plus onion and garlic.
- Crumble the beef stock cube in plus and salt and pepper to season. Stir in thoroughly.
- Next add the chopped tomatoes; tomato paste and missed herbs. Stir thoroughly.
- Add red wine. The mixture may need a little more fluid – either add more red wine or hot water.
- Turn heat down and cook gently whilst preparing the spaghetti.
- Cook spaghetti in boiling salted water (amount to your personal taste). (Follow instructions on pasta packet). When cooked, drain and top with a knob of butter.
- Serve spaghetti in large warmed bowls topped with bolognaise mix and finally add grated cheese.