Sesame Seed Bagels
I make these in bulk and they never last long. They are ideal for breakfast, brunch, snacks and anynother time.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to CollectionCollections
Servings: 10 bagels
- Open the yeast sachet and pour it into a large bowl with the 1 tbsp of sugar. Pour 100ml warm water into the bowl and leave for 10 mins until it becomes frothy.
- Pour 200ml of warm water into the bowl and stir in the salt and half of the flour.
- Keep adding the remaining flour. Continue to mix (i use my hands) until you have a soft dough (not sticky).
- Then knead for 10 mins until the dough feels smooth and elastic. To knead, push the dough away from your stretching it and then fold it back in half, Turn 90 degrees and do again. Repeat.
- When ready, shape into a ball and put in a lightly oiled glass bowl. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm place until doubled in size. It normally taes about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7.
- Lightly flour your work surface and divide the now risen dough into 10 equal balls.
- Gently squash the dough ball, not too much as you dont want a pancake. I use a fondue stirer to make a hole in the middle of the dough. Slowly make the hole larger until it is about an inch in diameter.
- Place the bagel under a damp tea towel whilst you do the rest.
- Put a large pan of water o the hob and bring to the boil. Add the reamining suger to the water. It may sound strange but it does make such a difference.
- Carfeully place the bagels into the boiling water. Only do a few at a time to avoide damaging them.
- Cook for 1-2 mins until they have puffed slightly and formed a thin skin. Remove from the pan and drain off the water.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place the bagels on it.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the bagels whilst still warm and place on the baking tray.
- Put the bagels in the oven and bake for 25 mins until brown and crisp.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- When ready to eat, cut in half and fill with so many choices of fillings.
Sodium: 467mg | Calcium: 56mg | Sugar: 5g | Fiber: 2g | Potassium: 75mg | Calories: 212kcal | Saturated Fat: 1g | Fat: 3g | Protein: 7g | Carbohydrates: 39g | Iron: 1mg