Texas caviar is a salad of black-eyed peas lightly pickled in a vinaigrette-style dressing, often eaten as a dip accompaniment to tortilla chips.
- 15 oz black-eyed peas rinsed and drained, cans
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing 125 ml
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper 125 ml, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion 125 ml, chopped
- 3 large jalapeño peppers seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 cups sweetcorn tinned and drained
- salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate covered for at least 2 hours, or for up to 2 days.
- Serve at room temperature with tortilla chips for dipping.