The uellow squash is used for its versatility, its edible skin, silky flesh and mild flavour. They all make this dish worthwhile.
- Cut squash in 1/4 in (1 cm) slices.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil; add squash, salt and sugar.
- Cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Melt 4 Tbs of the butter in a small skillet.
- Add onion and cook until transparent. Set aside.
- When squash is done, drain, pressing to force out excess liquid.
- Stir onion and butter into the squash.
- One at a time, add the Cheddar, sour cream, Romano, white wine and salt and pepper to taste, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
- Pour squash mixture into a large casserole or individual ramekins. In skillet saute the bread crumbs in the remaining butter until well mixed.
- Top casserole with the bread crumbs and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.