A superb side-dish and/or starter that is always a hot.
Melted Cheese with Chorizo (Queso Fundido con Chorizo)
- 4 oz Mexican chorizo casing removed, 110 g
- 1/2 lb Mexican queso asadero or other melting cheese such as mozzarella or Monterey Jack cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes, 225 g
- Tortilla chips or warm flour tortillas
- Heat an 8- or 9-inch (20-23 cm) pie pan or gratin dish in a 375F (190C) oven while you prepare the chorizo.
- Saute the chorizo in a skillet over moderate heat, breaking it up into small pieces, until cooked through.
- Drain off and discard the excess fat and set aside.
- Spread the cheese cubes in the hot pie plate and bake for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the chorizo and heat for 4 to 5 more minutes.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips or flour tortillas