Mole Poblano is a lovely thick chocolate based Mexican sauce and is a classic Mole version. Its ingredients include chocolate, chilies, coriander and sesame seeds and lots of others. However the result is amazing and is one of my favourite sauces.
An ancient dish with 20 ingredients that will blow you mind. totally excellent.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to CollectionCollections
Servings: 10 people
- 6 large ancho chiles
- 4 large pasilla chiles or more ancho chilles
- 4 large mulato chiles or more ancho chillies
- 2 cups chicken stock warm
- 4 large tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 sprigs cilantro coriander leaves
- 1 large corn tortilla torn into small pieces
- 1 cup blanched almonds 250 ml
- 1/2 cup raisins 125 ml
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds plus additional for garnish 60 ml
- 1/2 tsp Ground coriander seeds 2 ml
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves 2 ml
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon 2 ml
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin 2 ml
- 3 tbsp lard or vegetable oil 45 ml
- 1 1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate chopped, 42 g
- Salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- Remove and discard the stems and seeds from the dried chilies.
- Tear into pieces and soak in the warm chicken stock for 30 minutes.
- Working in batches, combine the chilies and stock with the remaining ingredients, except the lard and chocolate, in an electric blender and process to form a thick paste.
- Heat the lard in a pot over high heat and cook the puree for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the chocolate and stir until melted.
- The sauce should be quite thick but may need to be thinned slightly with a little chicken stock.
- Serve over cooked turkey, chicken, or pork, garnished with sesame seeds.
Sodium: 163mg | Sugar: 8g | Fiber: 4g | Potassium: 290mg | Cholesterol: 2mg | Calories: 268kcal | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Fat: 21g | Protein: 7g | Carbohydrates: 18g