A simple one pot wonder. Shrimp and Corn Chowder is a delight and ready within 20 minutes. The ingredients work so well together that this dish is constantly on the menu at my house. I have used ingredients that a lot of people will already have in their larder or can get hold of easily. The chowder has a full body curtesy of the cream and the natural starch from the potatoes. The bell peppers and potatoes and corn give the texture whilst the shrimp provides the protein. A balanced meal all round. I also use prawns and if pushing the boat out, lobster at times.
Shrimp and Corn Chowder
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups half-and-half cream heavy, 500 ml
- 2 cups fish stock chicken, 500 ml
- 1 large baking potato peeled and diced
- 1 cup canned corn kernels 250 ml
- 1/2 lb Shrimp peeled, deveined, and chopped, 225 g
- 2 tsp lemon juice 10 ml
- 1/2 tsp celery seeds 2 ml
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme 2 ml
- Salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- Combine the peppers, half-and-half, stock, and potato in pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for an additional 3 minutes.