Spanish Octopus in Spicy Sauce - Pulpo en Salsa Picante
Ideal introduction to Octopus for the uninitiated. This recipe is so tasty, full of flavour and so easy.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to Collection
Servings: 6 people
- 2 lbs octopus preferably small, 900 g
- 12 cups water 3 L
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 large onion coarsely chopped
- 4 whole peppercorns
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 3 tbsp salt 45 ml
- 4 tbsp olive oil 60 ml
- 4-6 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup reserved cooking liquid 250 ml
- 2 tsp paprika 10 ml
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes or to taste, 1 ml
- salt to taste
- Tenderize the octopus by pounding it gently, or by throwing it forcefully into your kitchen sink about 10 times.
- Combine all the ingredients for the cooking liquid in a pot and bring it to a boil over high heat.
- Dip the octopus in and out of the boiling liquid quickly three times, then place it in the liquid, return to the boil, and simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Let the octopus cool in the cooking liquid.
- Drain the octopus, reserving 1 cup (250 ml) of the cooking liquid for the sauce.
- Remove and discard the skin from the octopus, cut the tentacles into 1-inch (2 cm) pieces with scissors, and discard the head of the octopus.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over moderate heat and saute the octopus and garlic for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and serve hot or at room temperature.
Sodium: 3224mg | Sugar: 1g | Fiber: 1g | Potassium: 572mg | Cholesterol: 73mg | Calories: 214kcal | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Fat: 11g | Protein: 23g | Carbohydrates: 6g