Spinach and Herb Cannelloni is an Italian classic that never goes out of fashion. If you love pasta as much as we do then this is a perfect recipe for you. Also, we have replaced the beef from a normal cannelloni with ricotta cheese, spinach and herbs. Serve this vegetarian dish with Garlic Bread and Grilled Vegetable Salad for an all round meal. This is easy to prep and make and always a success. Adding garlic, nutmeg and scallions gives this dish a lovely kick of a flavour. The oregano and basil gives the dish that finishing touch to the Spinach and Herb Cannelloni.
Spinach and Herb Cannelloni
- 2 cups tomato sauce fresh or canned, 500 ml
- 1 tsp dried basil 5 ml
- 1 tsp dried oregano 5 ml
- 1 tsp garlic 5 ml, minced
- 12 oz spinach 350 g, fresh
- 12 large cannelloni shells cooked
- 12 oz ricotta cheese 350 g
- 3 tbsp basil 45 ml, chopped
- 3 tbsp parsley 45 ml, chopped
- 3 tbsp scallions 45 ml, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic 5 ml, chopped
- 1 grating nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Combine the tomato sauce, dried herbs, and 1 teaspoon (5 ml) chopped garlic in a saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Chop the spinach and combine with the remaining ingredients except the pasta shells.
- Lightly coat a baking pan with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray and spread half the sauce in the bottom.
- Fill each cannelloni or manicotti shells with the cheese mixture and place in the baking pan.
- Top with the remaining tomato sauce.
- Bake at 350F (180C) for 20 to 30 minutes, until heated through.
- Instead of Ricotta, you can use or cottage cheese