This is our version of a pimped-up corn muffin. Corn, Cheddar and Sun Dried Tomato Muffins are the nibble you’ve been waiting for. We have them at brunch as a savoury alternative to all of the sweets. I use a mature cheddar for that extra kick. However for a quick taster, just spread pesto for instance. The ingredients combine to create a superb flavour burst in your mouth.
Corn, Cheddar and Sun Dried Tomato Muffins
- 1/2 cups cake flour not self-rising
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 oz white cheddar cheese grated
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped rehydrated
- 1/2 cup scallions sliced
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk warmed
- 6 oz unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg free range
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Butter a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Add the cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and scallions and toss well.
- Whisk together the warm milk, melted butter, oil, and egg in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together just until a soft dough forms. (Be careful not to overmix the dough.)
- Fill the prepared muffin cups to the rim with batter. Bake until the tops start to brown slightly, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool for 2 to 3 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Remove to a rack and let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.