When you need to add a little extra body to your breakfasts, then Hash Browns are the trick. They only need a few ingredients with potato and onion and a single egg combine to make a tasty vegetarian side dish. Serve as part of a breakfast or as a snack with scrambled eggs.
Simple Hash Browns
- Peel the potatoes and grate onto a clean tea towel. Use a coarse grater if possible.
- Once grated, twist the corners of the tea towel together and ring out the excess water.
- When drier, transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the egg and add to the potato mixture with a good pinch of salt and pepper. A good quantity of salt is needed for tasty hash browns.
- Mix all of the ingredients thoroughly.
- Place a frying pan over a high heat and add a good pour of oil. Enough to make sure that the hash browns do not stick.
- Using your hands, creates patties about 1/2 inch from the mixture and carefully place into the frying pan. I use a spatula to keep them together.
- When they have browned on one side, flip over and fry the other side. It should be about 3 minutes each side.
- Keep the ones you have cooked warm in the oven until they are all done.
- Serve hot as a side to a fry up breakfast or snack.