I lived on this when money got tight in my student days. Students Chilli is full of flavour yet remarkably cheap to make. Adding sweetcorn makes it even more filling with very little cost. Serve with a portion of boiled rice for a filling main dish. I use a mixture of both beef and pork for the flavour and texture.
- Place a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the olive oil. When hot, add the chopped onion and garlic. Stir until softened.
- Add the pork and the beef to the pan. Using a wooden spatula, brake up the meat. Brown the meats thoroughly.
- Add the kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato puree, sweetcorn, cayenne pepper and chopped peppers and bring to the boil. When boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. The longer you simmer, the more intense the flavours. Stir occasionally.
- Season with salt, pepper.
- Finally add a pinch of chilli powder to how much heat you like before serving.