Barley Vegetable Soup is a simply delicious recipe that fills the house with welcoming aromas and makes your mouth water. This vegetarian soup is a family favourite despite us loving meat and fish. Using the slow cooker makes everything tender without over cooking and is ready after a day out. As a main dish, serve with homemade garlic bread for a satisfying meal.
Barley Vegetable Soup
- 5 cups vegetable stock 1.25 L
- 15 oz red kidney beans, 420 g can, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz stewed tomatoes with their liquid 420 g can
- 10 oz corn kernels 280 g
- 1/2 cup pearl barley 125 ml, medium
- 2 cups mushrooms 500 ml, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano 2 ml
- salt to taste
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook covered on low heat for 8 to 10 hours, or on high heat for 4 to 5 hours.
- Serve with a dollop of crème fresh or natural yoghurt.