A traditional butterscotch tart for dessert or just because you want to.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to CollectionCollections
Servings: 6 people
- Line an 8-inch (20 cm) tart or pie pan with the pastry crust.
- Line the pastry with wax paper and fill the crust with dried beans or rice.
- Bake in a preheated 400F (200C) oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the paper and beans and bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until the crust is light golden brown.
- Remove the crust from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the brown sugar and cornstarch in a mixing bowl.
- Bring the milk to a boil in a saucepan and pour over the brown sugar mixture, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring constantly, and continue to stir while the mixture boils gently for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, vanilla, and egg yolks.
- Stir over low heat for an additional 2 minutes, and pour the mixture into the pie shell.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry, adding the sugar and cream of tartar a little at a time as you beat.
- Mound the egg whites on top of the butterscotch filling and bake in a preheated 300F (150C) oven until the meringue is lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm, chilled, or at room temperature.
Sodium: 12mg | Sugar: 61g | Potassium: 85mg | Cholesterol: 13mg | Calories: 301kcal | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Fat: 5g | Protein: 1g | Carbohydrates: 66g