Ham and Egg Casserole is a hearty dish for those of us with a big appetite. The diced ham and the sliced hard boiled eggs add the body whilst mustard provides the kick. I use one teaspoon of mustard for when the children are eating it. However about two or three teaspoons when adults are having it. Whilst many people seem to consume this as a main dish, I think it is best as a breakfast and brunch dish with family and friends. Having this for breakfast, it will fill you up and keep you on the move though out the day.
Ham and Egg Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt the butter in a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, uncovered, until soft, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low.
- Blend in the flour and slowly add the milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the mustard and pepper.
- Pour half of the sauce into an ungreased 1-quart casserole; add a layer of half of the ham, then a layer of half of the sliced eggs.
- Repeat the layers of ham and eggs, then pour the remaining sauce over all.
- Bake, uncovered, until the sauce is bubbly, about 20 minutes