Chocolate Chiffon Cake has to be one of the worlds delicacies. The soft cake with the delicate chocolate hit is something to behold. This cake is ideal as a snack or as part of a light tea. It goes with everything. I get on average 16 slices per cake which means 12 for me and one each for the kids (I wish!!). I always have some cake at the ready when my wife’s friends turn up for a ‘gossip’. It is better than Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream to soothe a heartbreak. If you are looking for an even bigger chocolate hit then try Chocolate Angel Food Cake.
Chocolate Chiffon Cake
- Line bottom only of 8-inch cake pan with waxed paper cut to fit. Or, alternatively, have 10-inch tube pan ready.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix well. Pour in oil, water, vanilla, and egg yolks. Beat for 1 minute or until very smooth. Wash beaters.
- In large bowl, and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add remaining sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Pour egg yolk mixture evenly over stiffly beaten egg whites. Fold in until blended and evenly colored.
- Pour into prepared pan. With knife, cut through batter to remove air bubbles. Smooth top.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack. (Or, if tube pan is used, invert pan and allow to hang upside down on its own rack or funnel.) Loosen around edge of cake; invert onto cake plate. Remove waxed paper.