Cranberry Herb Sauce is a simple recipe that adds so much additional flavour without overpowering other parts of the meal. It takes the normal Cranberry Sauce and knocks it up a level. The addition of Rosemary makes this ideal to serve with Roast Lamb. Whilst the honey, Worcestershire Sauce, beef stock and red wine give a body and depth of flavour that is enjoyable without the kick. Cranberry Herb Sauce is also ideal to use in the leftover meals. Recipes such as Cornbread, Turkey, and Cranberry Sandwiches, Meatballs with Cranberry Sauce and Stuffed Cranberry And Rice Chicken can all use this recipe.
Cranberry Herb Sauce
- 2 small onions diced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 oz cranberries fresh or frozen
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 cubes beef bouillon Oxo beef stock cubes
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme crushed
- 4 whole bay leaves
- 5 drops Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 pinch ground red pepper
- Cook and stir onions and garlic in oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until onions are softened. Add cranberries, water, wine, honey, bouillon, thyme, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary and red pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer about I hour or until mixture reduces by half, stirring frequently.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Puree sauce in blender or food processor or press through sieve. (The sauce will be the consistency of a thick gravy.) Serve with poultry, lamb or pork.
- Also wonderful over dressing or sweet potatoes.