Zesty Orange Sauce is excellent to serve over wild fowl especially Cornish Game Hens. The tang of the orange and mild kick of the sherry combine so well. This is a very simple recipe that works well due to its simplicity. The addition of currant jelly give the sauce a bit of body making it into a runny chutney. I must admit, I tried using this as a marinade on a Wood Pidgeon and oh my god. The flavour worked so well, the orange had been absorbed into the meat without overpowering the meat. I am going to test it on a chicken and then Quail next!!
Zesty Orange Sauce
- Cut an orange in half. Remove juice from both sections and reserve. Then take the rind of one half and cut into thin strips.
- Cook orange rind strips with dry sherry.
- Simmer, uncovered, until reduced to 1/2 cup of liquid. Remove rind from sherry and add the reserved orange juice, lemon juice, currant jelly and cayenne.
- Simmer until jelly melts.
- Leave to cool and hey presto your sauce in made.