Cream of Corn Soup – Crema de Elote is a pure pleasure to eat. The warm thick soup with a slight chili hit is a vegetarian delight. Using simple ingredients such as sweetcorn, cream and a few vegetables creates a beautiful dish. This soup is ideal for anytime of the year and even in a thermos for work. Made in advance, I have stored this in the fridge for a few days in an airtight container.
Cream of Corn Soup – Crema de Elote
- 2 tbsp butter 30 ml
- 1/2 large onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 cups sweet corn thawed, 750 ml
- 1 tbsp cornstarch/cornflour 15 ml, cornflour
- 1/4 cup cold water 60 ml
- 3 cups milk 750 ml
- 1 cup heavy cream 250 ml
- 2 medium poblano chiles roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro to garmish
- ground pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Heat the butter in a skillet over moderate heat and saute the onion and garlic until tender but now brown, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to an electric blender or food processor and add the corn and cornstarch mixture.
- Puree until smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender several times, and transfer to a saucepan.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the soup comes to a boil.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the parsley and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.