Spaghetti alla Norma is a pasta dish originally from Catania, Italy. The combination of tomatoes, aubergine (eggplant), mozzarella and basil create a lovely body to this dish. I usually cook spaghetti with this dish but any type will do. This is a lovely and probably one of the most popular and easiest pasta recipes. Also being vegetarian main dish makes this ideal for most diners. I usually serve Spaghetti alla Norma with Garlic Bread as a side dish for an all round meal. Other popular pasta dishes include Pasta with Mushroom Sauce. This is a lovely vegan dish that is also very popular.
Spaghetti alla Norma
- Heat the oil in a skillet large enough to hold the cooked pasta over moderate heat and sauté the garlic for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, and pepper and cook until the liquid from the tomatoes has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, stirring to combine, and cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked spaghetti, mozzarella, and basil and toss to combine.
- Serve Immediately into warmed bowls
- I normally use spaghetti for this dish but you can others. Just cook the pasta according to package directions and drain well.