German Goulash Soup
This is known as the thicker of the goulash stew and contains potatoes which help with the starch. This is so welcoming on a cold wet evening.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to Collection
Servings: 4 people
- 2 tbsp butter 30 ml
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 tbsp Hungarian paprika 30 ml
- 1 lb beef cubed, 450 ml
- 8 cups water 1.5-2 L
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tbsp vinegar 30 ml
- 1 tbsp tomato paste 15 ml
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds 15 ml
- 1 tsp Dried marjoram 5 ml
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 pinch Salt to taste
- 1 pinch ground pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a large, heavy pot and saute the onion until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the paprika and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beef and stir until the meat is lightly browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the potatoes and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Add the potatoes and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
A divine late night soup that is warming, filling and hearty.
Calories: 393kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 487mg | Potassium: 673mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g