Ham and Cheese Toastie are a very good memory for me. They remind of the first time I went to America with my children. I make these all of the time with variations but they are still loved. Even my grandchildren have succumbed to the power to a Ham and Cheese Toastie. With modern day toasting bags and sandwich makers, it is very simple to produce and you can churn them out one after another. I normally serve these with one of my smoothies – Red Smoothie, Green Smoothie or you guessed it my Purple Smoothie. They are easy to make and compliment the toasties so well. Don’t forget to use your leftovers in a toastie.
Ham and Cheese Toastie
- Preheat a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with 1 teaspoon butter.
- Place one slice, butter-side down in the hot frying pan.
- Top with Gruyere cheese and ham.
- Spread the unbuttered side of the second slice of bread with mayonnaise and mustard; place it, butter-side up on top of the sandwich.
- Cook until the sandwich is golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side.