A simpler version of carbonara that is always a hit. The mix of cheese and guanciale (bacon) make this an easy meal to enjoy.
Spaghetti alla Gricia
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a low heat. When it begins to shimmer, add the guanciale and cook, stirring, until golden brown – about 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil over a high heat. Salt the water. When the salt has dissolved, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- Transfer the pasta to the pan with the guanciale, reserving the cooking water. Heat the pan over a medium-high heat, adding some pasta water. Swirl and stir the pasta as it finishes cooking. The sauce should be thick and slightly liquid, but not watery.
- When the pasta is al dente, turn off the heat, add the pepper and half of the pecorino, then stir vigorously to combine.
- Plate the pasta and serve with the remaining pecorino and some black pepper sprinkled on top.
- Always serve hot