Mexican Soup – Sopa a la Mexicana is what I call a real chicken soup. It is full of flavour, chicken breasts, prime vegetables such as zucchini, avocado and jalapeno chilies. That is what I call a meal. This is a traditional meal in Mexico and packs a lovely punch from the jalapeno chilies. The heat is tempered by the avocado and tomatoes. Also this dish can be adapted by adding noodles to create a filling meal that will satisfy the hungriest visitors. Just don’t forget to have fresh homemade bread at the ready. This soup is worth the dunk factor of 10/10.
Mexican Soup - Sopa a la Mexicana
- 8 cups chicken stock 2 L
- 6 large skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- 3 large carrots thinly sliced
- 1 large ripe avocado peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced for garnish
- 2 large zucchini thinly sliced, courgettes
- 1 cup green peas 250 ml
- 3 large tomatoes seeded, and chopped
- 1 large jalapeño pepper seeded and chopped
- Combine the chicken stock, chicken breasts, carrots, zucchini, and peas in a pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and jalapeño and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and garnish with the sliced avocado.