Anticuchos can be found on street-carts and street food stalls (anticucheras). The meat may be marinated in vinegar and spices. While anticuchos can be made of any type of meat, the most popular are made of beef heart (Anticuchos de corazón). Anticuchos often come with a boiled potato or bread on the end of the skewer.
Peruvian Marinated Beef Heart - Anticuchos
- Trim the heart of fat and sinew and cut into 1 inch (2 cm) cubes.
- Place the heart pieces in a large bowl and add the garlic, hot peppers, cumin, salt, pepper, and vinegar.
- Add more vinegar if necessary to cover.
- Marinate refrigerated 24 hours.
- Drain the heart pieces and reserve both the heart pieces and the marinade.
- Remove and discard the seeds and soak the dried peppers in enough hot water to cover for 30 minutes.
- Drain the peppers and place in an electric blender along with the annatto seeds, oil, and about 3/4 cup (180 ml) of the reserved marinade.
- Blend until smooth; the sauce should be quite thick.
- Thread the heart pieces on skewers and brush with the sauce.
- Broil over a charcoal fire or under a preheated broiler, turning to cook all sides, for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with additional sauce on the side.