Potato Cakes are a strange idea that works so well. They can be served with so many other ingredients such as smoked salmon and soft boiled eggs. Also Bacon and poached eggs are a close run second; but the list goes on and on. You can always use left over mashed potatoes as I do. You can of course just add sour cream for a refreshing light snack. I have started serving these at brunch for the children and they are loving them. Serve with crispy bacon for a happy family. If you are going to serve with a sauce or runny eggs, they are best fried until crispy.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender.
- Drain well and grate on the coarse side of a cheese grater into a mixing bowl.
- Add the spring onions, seasoning, flour and half the butter and mix very well.
- Divide into 4 equal portions and pat into flat discs. Chill in the fridge overnight.
- Heat a frying pan over a moderate heat and add the rest of the butter.
- Gently fry the potato cakes, 2 at a time, for 2 to 3 minutes each side until light brown and heated through. Keep warm.
- Sprinkle over the chives. Season well.
- Add drop of Hollandaise Sauce - May sound weird but it works.