Artichokes have played a bigger part in my cooking of late. They are amazingly delicious and amazingly healthy. Rice Stuffed Artichokes is a simple recipe that pulls the soft artichoke, fluffy rice, the crunch of the vegetables and the subtlety of the sage in one. This is superb as a side dish and also as a main dish. Artichokes are a very good source of folate, dietary fiber, and vitamins C and K. They are also packed with antioxidants and always one of the top 20 antioxidant-rich foods. Once you try this vegetable, you will realise how versatile it is and how many superb dishes can be prepared.
- Cut off stems and loose outer leaves from artichoke. Cut off 1-inch from tops. Snip off sharp leaf tips.
- Brush cut edges with 2 tsp lemon juice. Place artichokes and water in a casserole dish.
- Cover with vented clear plastic wrap.
- Micro-cook, covered, on 100% power for 7 to 9 minutes or just till tender, rotating
- casserole a half-turn after 4 minutes.
- Let stand, covered, while preparing stuffing.
- For stuffing, in a small nonmetal bowl stir together carrot, onion, butter or margarine, and sage. Micro-cook, covered, on 100% power for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes or till vegetables are tender, stirring once.
- Stir together vegetable mixture and rice.
- Drain artichokes. Remove the center leaves and chokes from artichokes. Spread artichoke leaves slightly.
- Spoon rice stuffing into the center of each artichoke and behind each large leaf.
- Return artichokes to casserole. Cover with vented clear plastic warp.
- Micro-cook, covered, on 100% power for 2 to 3 minutes or till stuffing is hot and bases of artichokes are fork-tender, rotating the casserole a half-turn every minute. Let stand,
- covered, while preparing sauce.
- For the sauce:
- In a 2-cup measure stir together chicken broth, 1 t lemon juice, cornstarch, and pepper. Micro-cook, uncovered, on 100% power for 2 to 3 minutes or till thickened and bubbly, stirring every
- 30 seconds.
- Stir HALF the hot mixture into the egg yolk.
- Return all to the 2-cup measure. Micro-cook, uncovered, on 100% power for 30 seconds.
- Transfer stuffed artichokes to a warm serving platter.
- Pour sauce around the artichokes.