Royal Eggs – Huevos Reales is a superb vegetarian dessert that has been popular since the colonial days. It is even more popular due to it is milk free. This makes it suitable for those who are unable to consume dairy products. To avoid this dish being just a custard add raisins and toasted pine nuts for a bit of crunch. When you have had a filling meal, this dessert is the perfect accompaniment. It is soft and smooth yet crunchy, nutty and fruity and incredibly light. The best way to serve this is lovely and warm with a glass of sherry; Perfect.
Royal Eggs - Huevos Reales
- Combine the raisins and the sherry in a small cup and allow to steep for at least 30 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolks until they make a ribbon.
- Pour into a shallow greased pan which is set in a larger pan partially filled with hot water.
- Bake in a preheated 350F (180C) oven until the eggs are set, about 20 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature and cut into cubes or diamond shapes.
- Meanwhile combine the sugar, water, and cinnamon stick in a pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Boil for 5 minutes, remove the cinnamon stick, add the egg cubes, and simmer over very low heat until the egg cubes are saturated with the syrup.
- Stir in the raisins and sherry and serve garnished with pine nuts.