Serve with garlic bread and olives for a truly gorgeous meal.
Sausage and Rigatoni Casserole
- 2 tbsp olive oil 30 ml
- 1 lb beef stew meat cubed, 450 ml
- 1 lb Italian sausage cut into 1-inch (3 cm) pieces, 450 g
- 2 large onions chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 cans tomato sauce 15oz - 225g each
- 1 can tomato paste 6 oz - 170 g
- 3 cups beef stock 750 ml
- 2 cups dry red wine 500 ml
- 2 tsp dried oregano 10 ml
- 1 lb rigatoni 450 g
- basil garnish
- Heat the oil in a skillet and brown the stew meat and sausages in batches.
- Transfer to a baking dish. In the same skillet, saute the onions and garlic until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to the baking dish and add the remaining ingredients except the rigatoni and garnish.
- Stir to combine well and bake covered in a preheated 325 (165C) oven until the meats are tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Stir in the rigatoni and bake uncovered an additional 20 minutes.