Seafood Paella is one of my favourite recipes. The entire recipe from start to finish is full of flavour and textures that combine superbly. When you are looking for an impressive Spanish Main Dish to serve, then this is it. I use Mussels, Squid and king prawns but any seafood can be used. In the past, I have included cod, crab and clams to great success.
- 175 g king prawns raw
- 150 g mussels Whelks etc.
- 150 g squid rings raw
- 900 ml fish stock
- 250 g Paella rice
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch flatleaf parsley chop
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 tsp paprika
- 285 g roasted peppers drain/rinse/slice
- 227 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 whole lemon wedged
- Pour the fish stock into a large pan over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Add the saffron and put to one side for now.
- In a large frying pan (with high sides) heat the olive oil over a medium heat ,
- Finely chop the onion and add to the frying pan and fry until soft and golden. About 5 minutes.
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves and add to the pan together with the tinned tomatoes, stalks of the parsley and paprika. Fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the paella rice and stir well.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Pour the fish stock over the mix and bring back to the boil.
- When boiling, reduce to a simmer and leave alone for the rice to cook. for 10 minutes. Do not str.
- Slice the roasted peppers and add to the pan.
- Give the pan a jiggle to mix things up and leave to cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Whilst still simmering, I add a handful of frozen peas to bring a bit of colour.
- Scatter the raw king prawns, mussels and squid rings and cook for a final 5 minutes.
- Finally. take the pan off the heat, cover with foil or a lid and let the paella relax for a few minutes.
- Serve with the chopped flat leaf parsley leaves and lemon wedges.