Crab Quiche is a lovely variation of the traditional recipe. The fresh crab meat brings a delicate flavour whilst bacon has a fully flavour. I usually add a touch of cayenne pepper for a bit of warmth. This dish is ready within 50 minutes and serves 6 comfortably. I normally serve with a simple salad during the summer whilst with herbed potatoes together with Peas and Parmesan. Crab Quiche can be served as part of a main course and as a side dish with a buffet and can be served both warm and cold. It is ideal as part of a picnic and lunch boxes.
- Line the pie shell with aluminum foil and fill it with metallic pie weights or dried beans or rice.
- Bake in a preheated 375F (190C) oven for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the weights and foil and bake until light golden brown, about 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile whisk together the eggs, yolks, milk, cream, sherry, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cayenne.
- Toss the crab meat with the chopped chives and spread evenly over the bottom of the hot pie crust.
- Add the egg mixture and bake 30 to 35 minutes, until the tip of a knife comes out clean when inserted about 1 inch (3 cm) from the edge of the crust.
- The center should be slightly liquid but will firm up as it cools.