Peas and Parmesan is a dish I had never heard of until I spent Thanksgiving with an American friend. When she identified the side dishes for the Brits around the table, this stood out. Having cheese with peas during a roast meal was to me sacrilege. I was so wrong. The parmesan melts so delicately on the piping hot peas, the create a little coating that re-melts when it hits the fork; totally divine. I could have had the entire bowl quite happily. They are so gorgeous with the other dishes especially Roasted Parmesan Parsnips, Honey and Orange Carrots and Low Fat Roast Potatoes.
Peas and Parmesan
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and a pinch of salt and cook until the shallots are soft and translucent.
- Stir in the peas and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until the peas are soft but still bright green.
- Add the lemon juice and toss.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan and a generous pinch of black pepper.
- Serve hot.