Shrimp Fried Rice is a perfect side dish and also a perfect main dish. You can use any seafood in place of shrimp. I have used Ham as an additional texture and flavour. Also as the ham and rice are already cooked in advance the cooking time is vastly reduced. That means this becomes an ideal “get home from work time” meal as a meal for 4 is ready in 20 minutes. I normally serve it with Beef in Oyster Sauce, Sweet and Sour Pork and Chicken and Vegetable Spring Rolls. Also when served with these three dishes, it is a full meal for 4 people.
Shrimp Fried Rice
- Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add rice, a good pinch of salt and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- When cooked, put to one side and allow the rice to cool fully.
- Heat a wok for 2 minutes. When the wok is hot, pour in vegetable oil, frozen peas and onions. Mix well and cook for 3 minutes.
- Mix in cold rice and shrimp and cook for about 3 minutes. Continue to stir constantly.
- Mix in spring onions, eggs, salt, pepper, oyster sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil together with the diced cooked ham.
- Cook for another 4 minutes, stirring until the eggs are cooked and everything is mixed evenly.