Swedish Crab Canapés (Krabbsmorgas)
A classic recipe from the lovely Swedes. The crab canapes are soft and delicate but flavoured superbly and served on a small round of toast.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to Collection
Servings: 6 people
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan over moderate heat and stir in the flour.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
- Whisk together the egg yolk and the cream.
- Remove the butter mixture from the heat and stir in the cream mixture.
- Whisk over low heat until thickened-do not boil.
- Combine the crab meat, sherry, dill, salt, pepper, and the cream sauce in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Toast the bread on one side under a hot broiler and cut each slice into quarters.
- Mound the crab mixture on the untoasted side of the pieces of bread.
- These may be prepared in advance to this point and refrigerated.
- Immediately before serving, heat under a preheated broiler until hot and lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Ideally the crab should be fresh but if unavailable then canned, or frozen crab meat can be used. Make sure you pick through it to ensure no shell remains.
- Heavy cream is the best option but if you prefer, half and half or milk can be used.
Calories: 213kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 132mg | Sodium: 261mg | Potassium: 177mg | Fiber: 0.1g | Sugar: 0.3g