In Turkey, grilled meat patties, called köfte, are a national favourite and the single most popular dish prepared with ground beef.
- Combine the meat, onion, rice, and salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Form into meatballs about 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter.
- Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan and add the meatballs.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
- Remove the meatballs to a plate and discard the water.
- Heat the oil to a temperature of 350F (180C), or until the surface shimmers.
- Dip the meatballs into the beaten egg and deep fry for about 5 minutes, turning as necessary, until browned on all sides.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm until served.