When you are having a gorgeous steak and chips it is never quite right without the Yankee onion rings. They somehow bring a different dimension to the side dish which you can’t do without. These vegetarian delights are better than any frozen supermarket offerings or those that appear on the side plate at a beefeater. I can quite easily polish the lot off in one go!!!! Served with a lovely Steak with French Fries – Steak Frites will make anybody happy. I use mild mustard but you can increase the heat to you liking. When having friends round, I often prep the onion in advance and keep it under a damp tea towel until needed.
Yankee Onion Rings
- Place the flour in a large bowl. Make a well in centre and break the egg into it.
- Beat lightly then gradually pour in the milk.
- Continue beating milk and egg, incorporating all the flour, to make a smooth batter.
- Whisk in the mustard and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Peel Spanish onions and cut into thick slices. Separate slices into rings.
- Dip each ring in batter and shallow-fry in hot vegetable oil for 1-2 mins, turning once, until golden brown.
- Drain well and serve with a dip.