When you know how to poach an egg then this recipe will become a frequent visitor to your kitchen. The Poached Egg on Muffins is an easy recipe to follow. Imagine making breakfast or brunch for 4 people and be ready within 10 minutes. Having the cheddar cheese melted on top of the muffin but below the tomato creates a little barrier to prevent the muffin getting soggy. I normally grated the cheese but some like it sliced. Either way works. This is my grandchildren’s favourite brunch meal. They add a little dollop of red sauce between the cheese and the muffin. Whatever you are looking for in a dish this is a contender.
Poached Eggs on Muffins
- Fill a frying pan with 3 inches of water.
- Bring to the boil slowly.
- Heat the grill and place the muffins under to lightly toast.
- Top with the sliced tomatoes and cheese, then pop back under the grill and heat until the cheese has melted.
- Place to oneside to keep warm.
- Crack the eggs and drop them into the simmering water.
- Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and set the timer for 3-4 mins, or longer if you prefer less runny yolks.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Remove the eggs from the water and drain any water off the eggs, then place an egg on top of each half of muffin.
- Serve immediately and enjoy