Scotch Eggs are simple recipes of pure sumptuousness. Soft boiled eggs wrapped in sausage meat and covered in breadcrumbs. These are perfect for snacks, lunch boxes and picnics. Serve with Spicy Tomato Chutney, Cherry Chutney or Honey Mango Chutney for a simple but superb snack. Scotch egg is actually a modern abbreviation of ‘scotched’ egg, which is it’s true name. Scotching meat involves hacking it to either tenderise, or roughly mince, which refers to the sausage meat surrounding the egg. Something that is scotched is now generally regarded as being coated in breadcrumbs and fried. These are so easy to make and children love to “help”.
- Pour enough water to cover the eggs in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Carefully place four eggs in and boil for five minutes (soft boiled) or seven to eight minutes for hard boiled.
- While they're boiling, put ice cubed into a bowl of water. When the eggs have been cooked for your preferred time transfer the eggs from the boiling water to the ice water.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, black pepper, 1 teaspoon of ground ginger, and the green onions.
- You will need three shallow dishes to bread the eggs. In the first dish, mix the flour, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon of salt, and black pepper to taste..
- In the second shallow dish, whisk the remaining 2 eggs with a splash of water
- In the third dish, combine the panko, remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of ginger, and black pepper.
- Working with wet hands, divide chicken into four equal parts. Place them on separate squares of parchment paper and flatten out into circles, about 1/2 inch thick. Peel the eggs, coat them in a little flour, and then wrap each in chicken. It helps if you fold up the parchment paper to help the chicken onto the egg.
- Once the egg is fully encased in the meat, coat it in flour, and then egg, and then bread crumbs. Place on a cool plate until they are all ready.
- Fill a large pot with about 3-4 inches of oil and heat it to 350 f. Fry the Scotch eggs for 5-6 minutes, until they're golden brown and cooked through. Enjoy!