Simple Egg Fried Rice is one of those dishes that every Chinese meal should have. It is incredibly simple to prepare and goes with every other dish. The eggs, spring onions and peas turn this dish from a plain rice something into a meal on its own. I have had a bowl of Simple Fried Egg Rice for dinner main course with a serving of Hoi sin sauce. Also, try serving this with Sweet and Sour Chicken, Beef in Oyster Sauce and Chinese Salt and Pepper Shrimp. The sauces of these dishes are absorbed into the rice to create a perfect combination.
Simple Egg Fried Rice
- Beat together the egg and sesame oil and put to one side.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan.
- When it's shimmering and almost smoking, add the rice and stir-fry for about 3-4 minutes until completely heated through.
- Add the peas, spring onions and beansprouts, if using.
- Stir-fry, turning the rice constantly around the pan, for about 3 minutes.
- Season well with soy sauce and pepper, then push to one side of the pan.
- Pour the beaten egg mixture into the other side and leave for about 10 seconds so it begins to set.
- Using a chopstick, briskly swirl around the egg to break it up and then toss around with the rice.
- Stir-fry for a further minute and serve straight away.