Soda Bread is such an easy bread recipe that even I can do it perfectly. Instead of yeast it uses bicarb of soda as a raising agent. The loaf has a lovely crust with a soft fluffy inner to make the perfect sandwich or dunker. I use yoghurt but you can use buttermilk. Use with jam or cheese and pickle for a delightful meal or snack.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/380F/Gas mark 5
- Over a clean mixing bowl, sieve the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- In a separate bowl, add the egg and yoghurt and beat together.
- Pour the mix into the dry ingredients and thoroughly combine.
- Knead the dough until smooth and shape into a round ball.
- Transfer the dough to a buttered tray (so it doesn’t stick).
- With a sharp knife make a cross on the top of the dough to help it expand.
- Place in the oven on the middle shelf and bake in a for 40 minutes until bread is golden.