Tamales Blancos - Plain Tamales
This is the recipe for plain tamales but there are lots of other flavoured recipes on this site as well.Print Facebook Pinterest Twitter Add to Collection
Servings: 24 Tamales
- Beat the lard until it is light and fluffy.
- Mix the masa harina with the baking powder and salt and add to the lard gradually, beating constantly.
- Gradually add the warm stock until a mushy, wet dough forms.
- Shake off the excess water from the corn husks and spread a heaping tablespoon of the dough onto the centre of each corn husk.
- If you are making filled tamales, add about 1 tablespoon of the filling in the centre of the dough.)
- Fold the sides of the husks over the dough, then fold the tops and bottoms toward the centre to make rectangular packages.
- Stack the tamales upright in steamer, packing them in next to each other so they will remain in a vertical position.
- Steam until the dough comes away from the husks when tested, about 1 hour.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
If you use the dried corn huskd then you need to soak them in warm water for about 30 minutes.
Calories: 98kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 143mg | Potassium: 1mg | Fiber: 1g