Tortillas are so simple to make that you will wonder why you keep buying them. This Mexican recipe is hyper simple, takes no time to make and contains only three ingredients. This recipe will make about 24 tortillas. I use these in Chicken Fajitas, Quick n Easy Beef Quesadillas and my favourite Chicken and Spinach Burritos. I used to prepare batches in advance and freeze them but as these are so simple and quick, I just make them as needed. If you do freeze make sure you allow them to defrost fully and DONT use a microwave. These are so much more flexible to use than bread.
- Mix the ingredients together to form a soft dough.
- Roll into balls the size of small eggs and place between two pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper in a tortilla press.
- Flatten to form round disks about 4 inches (10 cm) in diameter.
- If the dough sticks to the plastic wrap it is too moist.
- Scrape it off the plastic wrap and stir in a little more masa harina until the flattened dough comes away from the plastic wrap.
- Heat a large heavy skillet (dry and not oil) over moderate heat and cook the tortillas one at a time until very lightly browned on both sides, about 1 minute per side.
- Serve immediately, or keep warm wrapped in aluminium foil in a 150F (65C) oven for up to several hours before serving.
- Makes about 24.