Chicken dishes come and go but Chicken with Prosciutto and Sage is eternal. The parcels of delicately wrapped chicken in prosciutto is a meal in its own right. Serve with steamed greens and Boiled Potatoes with Herbs and you have a dish worthy of any table. The sage introduces a delicate almost background flavour improving but not overpowering the chicken breasts. I also serve these with Braised Lettuce with Peas and Lemon or a bed of fluffy rice. It is strange collection of flavours that work so well. The broth from the lettuce keeps the rice moist and the chicken breast just blends into everything.
Chicken with Prosciutto and Sage
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally, sliding the knife blade between your hand and the cutting board.
- Place a sage leaf on each piece of chicken, and wrap with a slice of prosciutto, securing with a toothpick if necessary.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over moderate heat and saute each piece of chicken for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Add the vermouth and cook covered for 3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and add the cream, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and pour over the chicken.